Capacity Building Programme 2020 organised by the the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) is now open for applications. The programme was initiated for young professional from Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and Small Islands Developing States (SIDS).
This is an opportunity for nationals from LDCs and SIDS, that will be supported by their governments or institutions, to serve at IRENA Headquarters in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates or at its office in Bonn, Germany, for a period of one to two years. The programme aims to build capacity for addressing renewable energy issues in SIDS and LDCs and to provide experience in an intergovernmental organisation setting.
Participating governments, universities or institutions would be asked to release selected employees to the Agency, for a period of one or two years, on a loan arrangement, whereby the government employee would continue to receive their salary and emoluments from the releasing government. An additional remuneration and travel to and from the duty station will be provided by IRENA.
Position Title: Capacity Development Programme Officer Indicative
Monthly Lump-sum: USD 4,000
Duration of Appointment: One year (with possible extension for one additional year)
Duty Station: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates or Bonn, Germany
Date for Entry on Duty: As soon as possible
1. The programme is intended for individuals who are 32 years of age and younger.
2. IRENA is looking for individuals from LDC and SIDS who have experience and/or education in the following career fields:International Development
- Renewable Energy
- Public affairs
- Government Relations
- Project Management
- Human Resources
- Fund raising
- Project Development
- Climate initiatives/NDC
- Innovation & Technology
- Energy Planning
- Energy System Operations
- Outreach with Governments
- Environment/Natural Science
- Grid Assessment
- Energy Modeling
- Data Analysis and Statistics
- Rural Electrification, including Mini-Grids
- Energy Planning
- Off-Grid Energy Access
Work assignments may include, but not limited to:
- Analysis of data and information;
- Drafting of documents;
- Undertaking literature reviews;
- Preparing and making presentations;
- Dialogue with governments, partners and other key national, regional and international stakeholders;
- Contribute to the work programme outputs of the organization and work on specific projects;
- Support the efforts of the team in daily activities;
- Perform other duties, as required.
- Planning and Organising
- Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in a field relevant to the list of occupational groups listed above. A first university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Experience: Minimum of one to five years of progressively responsible experience related to the desired occupational groups is preferred.
- Language: Excellent command of both written and spoken English is essential. Working knowledge of another language is desirable.
Qualified candidates must apply for the above-mentioned vacancy on-line, through IRENA’s recruitment platform, Taleo by submitting a complete and comprehensive CV and a letter of interest, including details of three professional references who will be contacted if their application is shortlisted.
Candidates should ensure that their respective governments/institutions will release them for the period of the programme and reabsorb them at the completion of the assignment. They should include information as to the focal point from their releasing government/institution/organization.
Applications from qualified women are highly encouraged.